David R. Nelson – Biography
Colorado sculptor David R. Nelson specializes in realistic and contemporary life size and monumental sculptures. He has been a professional Artist for 29 years. Working in his studio in Marble, Colorado, he has been commissioned to create a number of site-specific sculptures designed for corporations, public art and individuals. Please note that projects commissioned by Arts in Public Places are in bold font and underlined. All of the sculptures below are available for purchase.
Commissions• 2015 – Life Size Cougar, selected by the Houston University athletic department for their new 130 million dollar football Stadium.
• 2015 – American Bald Eagle with American Flag, commercial development, Houston, Texas.
• 2015 – Life Size bear family, private homes, Beaver Creek Colorado and Michigan.
• 2015 – Large Life Size Mountain Lion, Whitefish, Montana.
• 2015 – Large Life Size Deer family, by Yosemite National Park, California.
• 2015 – Small Life Size Cougar, Carmel, California.
• 2015 – Large Life Size American Bald Eagle with American Flag, private home, Iowa.
• 2015 – Life Size American Bald Eagle, private home, Scottsdale, AZ.
• 2015 – Life Size Cougar, private home, Scottsdale, AZ.
• 2014 – Life Size Cougar for the mascot of the St. John of the Divine School in Manhattan, NY.
• 2014 – Two 8 foot wing span eagles to Colorado and Ft. Worth, Texas.
• 2014 – Created and delivered a 5 foot wing span eagle to Bozeman, Montana.
• 2014 – Eagle sculpture for the retiring Chairman of the Board of the Boys Scouts of America.
• 2014 – Life Size Cougar installed in Scottsdale, Arizona.
• 2013 – Created and delivered two life size 8 foot wing span eagles to San Antonio, Texas and King George, Virginia.
• 2013 – Life Size Mountain Lion and Bear purchased for a private home on Red Mountain, Aspen, Colorado. Highlighting, Forbes article December, 2012, Billionaires and Millionaires, Who’s Who in Aspen.
• 2012 – Two Life Size Deer, client from London, England, placed at their home in Vail, Colorado.
• 2012 – Life size American Bald Eagle, client from London, England and Aspen, Colorado, being placed at his home in Spain.
• 2012 – Life Size American Bald Eagle, designed specifically a MD, MPH, Brain Surgeon, to be placed on his fireplace, landing on a branch. For his home in Aspen Glen, Colorado.
• 2012 – Life size Mountain Lion purchased by Love’s corporate office for their new office building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
• 2012 – Life size American Bald Eagle, Wyoming Military and Readiness Center, Cheyenne, WY.
• 2012 – Large Life size American Bald Eagle holding the American Flag, purchased by the Executive Director of the Green Bay Packers, Wisconsin.
• 2012 – Large Life size American Bald Eagle holding the American Flag, purchased by Ron Paul, Washington, D.C.
• 2011 – Mountain Lion , bronze sculpture of a life size Mountain Lion placed at the Wyoming Northeast Welcome Center, Beulah, WY. AIPP.
• 2010 – American Bald Eagle with American Flag, bronze sculpture of American Bald Eagle with flag, 8-1/2 feet tall. Love’s corporate office, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
• 2009 – Commissioned to create a life sized Black mother bear and two cubs. Placed in private homes.
• 2008 – FREEDOM, Three times life size American Bald Eagle. Commissioned by the Adams County District Attorney’s office, AIPP, Brighton, CO.
• 2008 – Wolf Sculpture, a life size wolf, commissioned by Hyde Schools, Connecticut, AIPP.
• 2008 – Life sized Mountain Lion, this sculpture depicts a mountain lion climbing down a rocky ledge. Private Homes.
• 2006 – Six doves flying upwards, larger than life with 4 foot wing spans, placed on a stone water fountain. Commissioned by Town of Frederick, Colorado, AIPP.
• 2005 – Eight foot wing span life size American Bald Eagle, Town of Superior, Colorado, AIPP.
• 2004 – Life size Mule Deer and Two Fawns, edition of 50.
• 2004 – Life size 10 year old boy saluting the American Flag, Averit Air, Tennessee.
• 2004 – Life size Kayaker, Commissioned by American National Bank.
• 2003 – One and one quarter life sized American Bald Eagles. Commissioned by Pueblo Community College, Fremont Campus, State of Colorado Art in Public Places.
• 2003 – Life size 8-year-old boy with 1905 era coal train, commissioned by the Basalt Heritage Society, AIPP.
• 2003 – Eagle series, commissioned by Alpine Banks, Colorado.
• 2003 – Life size, “Boy With Plane”, commissioned by Averit Air, Tennessee.
• 2002 – Life size, “Fisher Boy”, commissioned by the Basalt Colorado Historical Society, AIPP.
• 2001 – 1-1/4 life size, Eagles, commissioned for a private home in Telluride, Colorado.
• 2001 – Life size, “Cow Girl”, commissioned by the Basalt Colorado Historical Society, AIPP.
• 2001 – Eagle series, commissioned by Alpine Banks, Colorado.
• 2001 – Life size American Bald Eagle, private collector, Sweden/Aspen.
• 2000 – Bear Family Sculpture, commissioned by Big Sculpture Gallery.
• 1999 – 1-1/4 life size, Eagles, commissioned for a private home in California.
• 1996 – 1-1/4 life size, “Wildland Fire Fighters Monument”, commissioned for Storm King Fire to honor all fire fighters, by the Prineville Hotshot Parent Committee, AIPP.
• 1995 – Commissioned 200 sculptures for First Banks, Minneapolis.
• 1994 – Commissioned, 1600 sculptures for Norwest Banks, Minneapolis.
• 1994 – 1-1/2 life size, Whooping Crane, Courtship Dance, polished stainless steel.
• 1992 – Monumental Dolphin Fountain, stainless steel.
• 1989 – Eagle sculpture presented to General Secretary Gorbachev of the former Soviet Union.
• October 27, 2013 – El Paso, TX – The San Elizario Historic District Sculpture Series dedicates the fourth sculpture in honor of the Veterans of San Elizario. Colorado sculptor David R. Nelson created the eight foot tall “American Eagle and Flag” that will grace the front on the museum. Visit El Paso.